Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cli to clear load port on ATL P6000

2001-02-14 10:46:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cli to clear load port on ATL P6000
From: anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com anthony.guzzi AT storability DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 10:46:47 -0500
--=_alternative 00566B97852569F3_=

Over the past couple of weeks I've seen a number of messages about wanting
a CLI to query the robot for an inventory as well as importing and
ejecting tapes.  I've seen a number of references to 'robtest' as well as
'tldtest'.  I would strongly discourage the use of these commands because
they do *not* update the media database.  The commands that should be used
are 'vmcheckxxx' for getting an inventory, 'vmchange' to eject tapes to a
mail slot (or cartridge access port [CAP]), and 'vmupdate' to import tapes
from the mail slot / CAP.  vmchange and vmupdate will modify the media
database; ejected tapes will show as not being in the robot; imported
tapes will show as being back in the robot.  The '*test' commands only
cause the robot to move the media; no changes are made to the media
database.  This means the media database will be out of sync with reality
and that will definitely cause problems.

-- Tony Guzzi
Solutions Engineer
Storability, Inc.
--=_alternative 00566B97852569F3_=

number of messages about wanting a CLI to query the robot for an inventory as
well as importing and ejecting tapes. &nbsp;I've seen a number of references to
'robtest' as well as 'tldtest'. &nbsp;I would strongly discourage the use of
these commands because they do *not* update the media database. &nbsp;The
commands that should be used are 'vmcheckxxx' for getting an inventory,
'vmchange' to eject tapes to a mail slot (or cartridge access port [CAP]), and
'vmupdate' to import tapes from the mail slot / CAP. &nbsp;vmchange and
vmupdate will modify the media database; ejected tapes will show as not being
in the robot; imported tapes will show as being back in the robot. &nbsp;The
'*test' commands only cause the robot to move the media; no changes are made to
the media database. &nbsp;This means the media database will be out of sync
with reality and that will definitely cause problems.</font>
-- Tony Guzzi<br>
Solutions Engineer</font>
--=_alternative 00566B97852569F3_=--