Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] no available media?

2000-12-22 15:40:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] no available media?
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 15:40:44 -0500
The only thing I can think of off hand would be to look at your retention
periods. NetBackup will not mix retention periods on a tape unless you force it
(which I wouldn't recommend). If all the tapes that have space don't match the
retention period you're going after, and there are no other tapes available in
the storage unit, you might get the "No Available Media" message.

Regards,

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "Jason K. Schechner" <jason AT parabon DOT com> 12/22/00 12:45PM >>>

Hello,

I'm running NetBackup 3.2 on Solaris with a 40-tape AIT-2 library.  When I
run available_media it shows me that about half a dozen tapes still have
the majority of their space free (40g out of 50g) and we're only consuming
about 4gb/day.  However, one of my backups is failing regularly with a
status of 96: "unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has
none available".  Since I'm still testing, configuring and setting things
up all of my backups are drawing from the "Netbackup" pool, so it's not
that one pool is full while others aren't.

What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

Thanks, and happy holidays!

-Jason

----
Jason K. Schechner - Operations Manager: Parabon Computation  Inc.
jason AT parabon DOT com

http://www.parabon.com - "Computing outside the box"(sm)