Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

2000-12-20 13:56:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups
From: Chandra Kalle ckalle AT ns.naren DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:56:59 -0800 (PST)
Mukarram,

Lets say the hostname of your Network Appliance box
is "toaster" and the hostname of your Master Server
is "dumpster"

Do the following:

1) Login to dumpster as root, and install the NDMP packages
   (SUNWnbdmp). If you are not aware, you have to
   purchase the NDMP option from Veritas for NetBackup. You
   get the NDMPD package, documentation, and paper license atleast
   with 3.2.

2) Set your NDMP authorization:

dumpster# /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/set_ndmp_attr -auth toaster root

It will ask you for a Password, and enter toaster's password.

3) Put the following line in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf:

ALLOW_NDMP

4) Connect toaster to one of the drives in your Jukebox,
   and reboot it so it can recognize the drive. Unfortunately,
   NetApps dont have drvconfig or alike..

   Check to make sure the drive is recognized after reboot:

   toaster % sysconfig -t

   This will show you the drive, and all device files you can use
   with it. I normally use the norewind device nrst0a. (or b.. whatever
   comes up in sysconfig's output)

5) On toaster, start the ndmpd daemon. ndmpd daemon comes with DataONTAP
   so it should be there (atleast in recent versions). To start ndmpd, do

   toaster % ndmpd on

   To see the usage of ndmpd, just enter ndmpd.

6) Come back to your master server (dumpster), and add the NDMP drive:

   Pull up xdevadm, select DRIVES -> ADD DRIVE. This will pull up
   the ADD DRIVE window. In that window, select/provide the following
   information:

   DRIVE TYPE: DLT (or what ever type your drive is)
   DRIVE INDEX: 0 (or any number of your choice)
   DRIVE NAME: toaster_jukeboxname_drive# (or what ever you like)
   NO REWIND DEVICE: toaster:nrst0a
   DRIVE STATUS: UP
   CLEANING FREQUENCY: 300 (or what ever you like)
   ROBOTIC DRIVE: YES
   ROBOT TYPE: TLD (or what ever type your Jukebox is)
   ROBOT NUMBER: <your robot's number>
   ROBOT DRIVE: <drive number of the drive thats connected to toaster>

At this point, you're ready to test NDMP backups. Use xbpadm to
create a class of type NDMP, and include toaster as client,
and a sample directory under file list. Create a schedule "manual_backup"
dont put any regular dates on it, and start a manual backup
of that NDMP class for toaster and see how it goes.

You do not have to install any software on toaster. All you
need to do is start ndmpd. You want to put that in its rc file
so its started every time its rebooted.

HTH,
Chandra