Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

2000-12-20 11:59:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups
From: Mark Smiles msmiles AT lucent DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:59:39 +0000
--------------29F2293163D010040F6FC2A0

Jagtar,

You can always consider moving the direct attached scsi into a fibre channel
bridge.
This would overcome scsi distance limitations to attach the two filers to an
ATL.

Incidentally, the FCAL throughput is rated at 70 MB/sec enough bandwidth to
handle
2 pair tape drives from both filers simultaneously to the ATL.

This is how i'm setup and i'm also backing up clients from the network via the
master and slaves into this SAN.

Regards,
Mark

Stephen Moccio wrote:

> Mukarram,
>
> It is actually pretty easy. The procedure is described in the 'NetBackup for
> NDMP Systems Administration Guide' which refers back to the manual provided by
> NetApp to set up using the NDMP protocol. In a nutshell, on the NetApp you
> have
> to attach it to one of the drives in your jukebox while the Server is
> connected
> to the robot. I don't remember how to setup the NDMP on the NetApp - but I do
> recall that it was fairly easy and intuitive. You need to connect the drive
> and
> do a configuration reboot. Once that is done you will see something like
> nrst0a
> as the tape drive. In NetBackup you must configure a new class which uses the
> NDMP client. In the devices you tell the robot which drive is connected to the
> NetApp. For Example, If you have a tape system with two drives. From the
> server
> you connect to the robot and then continue to drive 1 followed by termination.
> Drive 2 is connected to the NetApp and is also terminated. The device you set
> up for drive 2 on the server is /ndmp/nrst0a
>
> Steve Moccio
>
> Mukarram Syed wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > How do you implement the NDMP protocol?  Can you point me in the right
> > direction?  Documentation etc?  We have a Netapp and we want to use NDMP.
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Mukarram Syed
> >
> > ---- Stephen Moccio <svm AT lucent DOT com> wrote:
> > > With the NDMP protocol you must have the tape drive attached to the
> > > netapp. It
> > > has been my experience that backing up the netapp under NFS was painfully
> > > long.
> > > I would connect each netapp to its own drive and use the NDMP protocol.
> > >
> > > Steve Moccio
> > >  Lucent Technologies

> > > on
> > > by using
> > > 3.4. Tape

> > > NFS

--------------29F2293163D010040F6FC2A0

begin:vcard
n:Smiles;Mark
tel;cell:+ 44 7880 782 385
tel;work:+44 1344 29 6042
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CIO Emea;IT
version:2.1
email;internet:msmiles AT lucent DOT com
title:Unix Systems Manager
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kingswood,=0D=0AKings Ride;Ascot;Berkshire;SL5
8AD;United Kingdom
fn:Mark Smiles
end:vcard

--------------29F2293163D010040F6FC2A0--