Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the archive bit?

2000-12-20 12:02:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the archive bit?
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:02:44 -0700
It is not a question of creating a new class for that full backup but to do a
full backup and not touch the achive bit, becose the next day the régular
scedule gone a run a incremental differentiel.

I want the  incremental differentiel to be from the last regular scedule full
backup and not from my special end of year backup.

...and that is exactly what happens if your special end of year backup occurred
as part of a separate class than the class that runs the regular scheduled
backups.

I think a more detailed example scenario might help:

=======
Consider a machine named "BoxA", which is defined as a client in both "Class1"
and "Class2" NetBackup class configurations.  Both Class1 and Class2 happen to
have an identical file list defined.

Class1 and Class2 each run a full backup of BoxA on Monday.

Class1 and Class2 each run an incremental backup of BoxA on Tuesday.

Class2 runs a full backup of BoxA on Wednesday, Class1 doesn't run at all on
Wednesday.

On Thursday, an Class1 runs an incremental backup of BoxA.  What set of changed
data will it back up?

    (A) data modified since Monday's Class1 full backup
    (B) data modified since Wednesday's Class2 full backup
======

The answer is "A".  The decision of "does this file need to be backed up by an
incremental backup" includes a reliance on class name.

So the use of a separate class to do your yearly full would have no effect on
the differential incrementals run by the normal class.

It's incorrect to think of NetBackup file selection as a matter of the files'
"archive bit".  Since NetBackup's roots are Unix-y, where there is no such
thing as an archive bit, file selection is maintained based on examiniation of
file modification times.

HTH
rob

No,