Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the arch ive bit?

2000-12-20 12:13:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the arch ive bit?
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:13:24 -0800 (PST)
Ahh, yes NT our friend.

What I would do for NT is this:

Create a new class (special) with a schedule of type
Cummulative Incremental with a retention period for
however long you would like.

Include the file list you wish and either kick off the
backup manually or scheduled.

Either way, since this is a "new" class and the first
schedule is an incremental (cummulative is key here)
the first backup will be a 'full' since there is no
previous baseline in the class.  Based on how the
cummlative incrementals work, it will backup ALL of the
files since the last FULL backup (not clearing the
archive bit after the backup) which hasn't happened yet
in this class.  Therefore you will get your full backup
without affecting the archive bit at all, thus allowing
your regularly scheduled class to run without incident.

Hope this helps

david

Quoting "Richard, Alain"
<alain.richard AT menv.gouv.qc DOT ca>:

> David and rob,
>
> My clients machines are Windows NT4 sever, does rob
explanation still > ok or
> how it's differents from unix box?
>
> Alain

changing the
> archive bit?
>

> I'm afraid my response was a bit confusing...Rob is
> correct and is taking you down the right track.
>
> I guess I shouldn't be replying to two separate NBU
> questions at the same time...prozac anyone?
>
> david
>
> Quoting Rob Worman <rob AT colltech DOT com>:
>
> > It is not a question of creating a new class for
that
> full backup but to do
> > a full backup and not touch the achive bit, becose
> the next day the régular
> > scedule gone a run a incremental differentiel.
> >
> > I want the  incremental differentiel to be from the
> last regular scedule
> > full backup and not from my special end of year
> backup.
> >
> > ...and that is exactly what happens if your special
> end of year backup
> > occurred as part of a separate class than the class
> that runs the regular
> > scheduled backups.
> >
> > I think a more detailed example scenario might help:
> >
> > =======
> > Consider a machine named "BoxA", which is defined
as
> a client in both
> > "Class1" and "Class2" NetBackup class
> configurations.  Both Class1 and
> > Class2 happen to have an identical file list
defined.

> > Class1 and Class2 each run a full backup of BoxA on
> Monday.
> >
> > Class1 and Class2 each run an incremental backup of
> BoxA on Tuesday.
> >
> > Class2 runs a full backup of BoxA on Wednesday,
> Class1 doesn't run at all
> > on Wednesday.
> >
> > On Thursday, an Class1 runs an incremental backup
of
> BoxA.  What set of
> > changed data will it back up?
> >
> >     (A) data modified since Monday's Class1 full
> backup
> >     (B) data modified since Wednesday's Class2 full
> backup
> > ======
> >
> > The answer is "A".  The decision of "does this file
> need to be backed up by
> > an incremental backup" includes a reliance on class
> name.
> >
> > So the use of a separate class to do your yearly
full
> would have no effect
> > on the differential incrementals run by the normal
> class.
> >
> > It's incorrect to think of NetBackup file selection
> as a matter of the
> > files' "archive bit".  Since NetBackup's roots are
> Unix-y, where there is
> > no such thing as an archive bit, file selection is
> maintained based on
> > examiniation of file modification times.
> >
> > HTH
> > rob
> >
> > No,

normal
> full backups on
> > January 2nd, and you want to run a full backup on
> December 31st that will
> > not change the scheduling of that January 2nd
backup?

> > I'd suggest you create a new class for this
purpose.
> (Netbackup full and
> > incremental comparisons for a particular client are
> tied to the classname)
> >
> > HTH
> > rob
> >
> > I everyone,
> >
> > I have to do a full backup at the end of the year.
> But i don't want to
> > affect the regular backup. Is this a command or a
> command line in netbackup
> > 3.4 to do a full backup of all my server and didn't
> change the achive bit?
> >
> > Someome have an idee, (duplicate is not an option).
> >

> > Alain Richard
> > Ministère de l'Environnement
> > Édifice Marie-Guyart
> > 675, Bd René-Lévesque Est, 2e étage
> > Québec  (Québec)
> > G1R 5V7
> >
> > Tél.:          (418) 521-3838  #4733
> > Fax :         (418) 643-8999
> > Internet :   Alain.Richard AT mef.gouv.qc DOT ca

> bu

> David A. Chapa
> Consulting Manager
> DataStaff, Inc.