Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sequent - duplexing - 219/25 errors

2000-04-26 09:50:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sequent - duplexing - 219/25 errors
From: Kalusche, Dan dan.kalusche AT andersencorp DOT com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:50:36 -0500
All,
I've been having a problem over the last several weeks with a couple of our
client systems.  They are both Sequent machines, and we have an HP master at
11.0 HP-UX.  The problem is with the database extension, and it seems to be
two fold:
1 -  We seem to be getting numerous 219 / 25 errors with these systems.  I'm
wondering if there may be a problem with the libobk.so file on the systems.
We've had sporadic issues with this in the past.
2-  Somewhat possibly related; Multiplexing doesn't seem to work very well
with database extensions.  I've noticed severe problems with the Sequents on
this issue also.  The HP clients we have don't seem to cause any issues.  In
the SA Unix guide for Veritas (pg. 145) it says that MPXing does not apply
to database-extension clients.  On page 172, it says that NetBackup
multiplexes jobs to a drive until the number of jobs matches the schedule's
maximum multiplexing.  This seems a bit contradictory to me.  Does anyone
know the right answer to this?  From what I've noticed, a db extension
(Sequent) runs for x minutes, and runs well.  As soon as another DB
extension starts up, and writes to the same drive, errors occur.  The
original job may continue on, or it may fail at this point.  HP DB clients
do not seem to be affected by this.
Does anyone out there have any info for me on this, or could anyone clarify
what I may be doing wrong?
PS. Storage Unit MPX is set at 15.
Max jobs per client is set at 20
Thanks,
Dan K

Dan Kalusche
System Administrator - Andersen Corporation
100 Fourth Avenue North
Bayport, MN 55003-1096
email: dkalusch AT andersencorp DOT com
Phone: (651) 430-5573