Networker

[Networker] Jukebox control port using persistent names

2012-10-25 14:49:24
Subject: [Networker] Jukebox control port using persistent names
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:38:57 -0400
Has anyone created a jukebox using persistent names yet?  I have a jukebox
attached to my linux system, that since I upgraded to RHEL6 the order the HBAs
initialize is not consistent, so the scsi host number changes from boot to
boot.

I'd delete the jukebox and recreate it using persistent names, but with 1400
tapes in the blasted thing it would take two or three days for the obligatory
first inventory, and I can't afford that much downtime.

I've had an issue open with EMC since Monday, but so far, the people I am
talking too just keep reiterating that I need to set up persistent binding.
Even though I keep explaining to them that it is not the order the devices
attached to the HBA are initialized but rather the actual order the HBAs are
getting initialized, and persistent binding is not going to help me with that
(or else I completely misunderstand persistent binding).  I keep asking them
what is the control port value in a jukebox that is set up using persistent
naming.  They don't have an answer.  /sigh

So, if any of you have created a jukebox using the persistent naming option,
would you be kind enough to tell me if the control port defined for the jukebox
is something other than "[email protected]"?

Thanks,
-- Frank