Networker

Re: [Networker] Any one using Kaspersky antivirus with Networker (server)?

2012-10-02 11:46:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Any one using Kaspersky antivirus with Networker (server)?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 11:45:50 -0400
> Michael: Perhaps what you are seeing is contention at the disk level
> when trying to create the clones. Bill

It's possible, but I have no such problems when KAV is not installed. And
it's not creating the clones, it's reading from the clones and sending to
the tape drives.

Creating the savesets writes to the AFTD devices as quickly as ever
(because that is done on the client, where KAV has always been installed).
Reading from the saveset to clone to tape - that's the part that's slow,
and that part comes from (and via) the server, I believe ...

>  > Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:52:52 -0400
> > From: Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV
> > Subject: [Networker] Any one using Kaspersky antivirus with
> Networker (server)?
> > To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> >
> > Anyone using Networker (server) for Windows, with Kaspersky antivirus?
I'm
> > having a heck of time with performance issues since installing KAV on
my
> > Networker 7.6.2 server for Windows.  Specifically, with cloning
speeds,
> > more than anything. And before I post on the KAV forums, I'd thought
I'd
> > ask here first, since I know everyone here runs Networker, and it may
not
> > be quite as pervasive on the general KAV forums. :-)
> >
> > The speed writing the clones to disk (AFTD) seems acceptable, when
looking
> > at the start and stop times on the group completion reports. But
cloning
> > from there to tape is a *lot* slower than it was, before the KAV
install.
> > When only writing one clone, I am getting decent speeds - 50-60 MB (I
have
> > fiber connected LTO-4 drives in my library). But if there are 2 clones

> > trying to write, I'm lucky to get 20MB, whereas before I know I was
> > pushing 40-50MB to 3 drives at once.
> >
> > Now, a cloning to tape means that the data is coming from the AFTD
device
> > (which is defined as one of the drives on the client), to the server,
then
> > out to the tape drives. Do I have that data path correct? I'm not sure
how
> > to make that an exclusion, since the OS never sees that as a drive
> > mapping, only the NW application (presuming that making an exclusion
like
> > that is what I want to do ...)
> >
> > I've tried a lot of exclusions, etc, but I need more. Anyone have any
> > experience with KAV v8.1.0.831 and Networker (v7.6.x, specifically)?
KAV 8