Networker

Re: [Networker] Test recover of a client index?

2011-06-16 13:07:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Test recover of a client index?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:06:35 +0000
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:53:39PM -0400, George Sinclair wrote:
> From previous postings, I guess that's not possible. But let's say I
> have tape A, and the last save set on there is a client index, and
> maybe I'm concerned that there could be something wrong with the
> tape, and I want to make sure I can read the last save set on there.
> I have tape B, and it contains a clone of that index. I want to
> compare them to ensure they're the same, so I recover the one from
> the original, generate a listing of all the files and sizes
> (including cryptographic checksums) and then recover the one on tape
> B and compare the two. I'm not trying to rebuild the index or
> integrate it with the one on disk wherein I would use nsrck.
>
> Why could scanner with uasm not work?

The question is how the data is getting saved in the first place.  If
it's really just file data read by "save" and the "uasm" module hen it
should work okay.  But if it's streamed instead by nsrindexasm, then
recovering into "usasm" won't work.

It sounds like as a first pass, you could just use scanner and dump it
to a file (no asm necessary).  Then repeat and compare.  It's a big
opaque file at that point, but is apparently sufficient for your needs?

> Does NetWorker refuse to do
> this when it knows you're recovering an index? How would it know if
> you're doing a raw recover as opposed to trying to rebuild the index
> from the media entries?

The difference could be the modules that are used to read the stream.

--
Darren