Networker

[Networker] Test recover of a client index?

2011-06-16 00:48:07
Subject: [Networker] Test recover of a client index?
From: bingo <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:44:10 -0700
The question is what you really want:
  - To restore the consolidated index backups (the fastest method) nsrck is the
actual procedure
  - scanner rebuilds the index from the embedded metadata from each media where
the client data has been backed up to. Of course this takes much longer.

I do not see a problem to test the recover method:
  - make sure that the client index is not used
  - check the size with "nsrls client_name"
  - rename the /nsr/index/client_name directory
  - check with "nsrls client_name" - the expected response is " not found"
  - run "nsrck -L2 client" to recreate the index header
  - check with "nsrls client_name" - the expected response is " 0 entries"
  - recover the CFI with nsrck
  - check with "nsrls client_name" - you should now see the old size
  - verify whether you can use the CFI during a recovery
  - delete the renamed index directory

Not officially supported - but it should work.