Networker

Re: [Networker] Test recover of a client index?

2011-06-16 12:55:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Test recover of a client index?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:53:39 -0400
On 06/16/11 00:44, bingo wrote:
The question is what you really want:
   - To restore the consolidated index backups (the fastest method) nsrck is
the actual procedure
   - scanner rebuilds the index from the embedded metadata from each media
where the client data has been backed up to. Of course this takes much longer.

Well, I don't want to recover the index for the purpose of using it. An index is a save set just like anything else, albeit a special one, right? I only want to see if I can run a save set recover of an index and restore it as a file somewhere else to run a test on it. From previous postings, I guess that's not possible. But let's say I have tape A, and the last save set on there is a client index, and maybe I'm concerned that there could be something wrong with the tape, and I want to make sure I can read the last save set on there. I have tape B, and it contains a clone of that index. I want to compare them to ensure they're the same, so I recover the one from the original, generate a listing of all the files and sizes (including cryptographic checksums) and then recover the one on tape B and compare the two. I'm not trying to rebuild the index or integrate it with the one on disk wherein I would use nsrck.

Why could scanner with uasm not work? Does NetWorker refuse to do this when it knows you're recovering an index? How would it know if you're doing a raw recover as opposed to trying to rebuild the index from the media entries?

With save set recover, yes, I could see that it might refuse. I've never tried it, nor have I tried recovering an index using scanner with raw recover. I do know that nsrinfo will not give you any information on the index itself, e.g.:

nsrinfo -t 1308191501 server_name
scanning client `server_name' for savetime 1308191501(Thu Jun 16 02:31:41 2011) from the backup namespace on server server_name
0 objects found

but other save sets, yes, as long as they're still browsable. Just curious if scanner would do it and if not, why?

George

I do not see a problem to test the recover method:
   - make sure that the client index is not used
   - check the size with "nsrls client_name"
   - rename the /nsr/index/client_name directory
   - check with "nsrls client_name" - the expected response is " not found"
   - run "nsrck -L2 client" to recreate the index header
   - check with "nsrls client_name" - the expected response is " 0 entries"
   - recover the CFI with nsrck
   - check with "nsrls client_name" - you should now see the old size
   - verify whether you can use the CFI during a recovery
   - delete the renamed index directory

Not officially supported - but it should work.

|This was sent by carsten_reinfeld AT avus-cr DOT de via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -