Networker

[Networker] Unscheduled full backups

2010-09-28 13:17:57
Subject: [Networker] Unscheduled full backups
From: Jim Thorsley <thor AT CSD.UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:16:54 -0400
Hi. One of my backup groups suddenly decided to do a full backup today even
though its schedule says 'incr'. I can see no reason for this. The retention
and browse times are set to 'Month' for the clients and the last backup was
on the fifth of this month. I have it write the incrementals to one pool and
the fulls to another. The log just says "No full backups of this save set
were found in the media database; performing a full backup". When I look at
the save sets on tape the old fulls are there (I remove the tapes from the
library before they get overwritten) and are less than a month old. The
indexes also indicate they are still there. This is a huge waste of tape
space.

My server is a Sun V880 running Solaris 10. The version of Networker is
7.4.4.Build.634 on the server.There are two libraries, one contains LTO2
tapes (for incrementals) and the other LTO4 tapes (for fulls).

Any ideas why my system would suddenly decide that fulls were needed?