Networker

[Networker] Advice needed on replacing server with new hardware *and* renaming, at the same time

2010-09-07 10:30:54
Subject: [Networker] Advice needed on replacing server with new hardware *and* renaming, at the same time
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:30:28 -0400
I have a  stand-alone server running NW 7.4.5; it has an SDLT-320 tape
library. We will be replacing it with a new server this weekend, that has
a LTO-3 library. At the same time, we will be changing the name of the
server (to conform with current server naming standards). Just to add a
bit more aggravation to the mix, the SDLT-320 tape library won't work on
the new server (there are no free SCSI connectors, and we have no PCI-E
cards to use in the new server, and won't be buying any).

SO: here's what I'm hoping I can do.

--- Can you make a NW server backup of info to disk? I mean the mm
database, etc. All the stuff needed to do a mmrecov ?

- Fri night, make a final full backup to tape, of all server data and NW
info.
- Rename the old server to it's new name, following the procedure in
PowerLink
- Do another full backup of NW server info, to a disk drive somewhere.
-Power down the old server
-Rename the new server to the new server name (OS and DNS).
-Do a NW disaster recovery (i.e., mmrecov) from the backup made to the
disk device
-Deal with licensing re-hosting, etc.

If that works, at that point, I will have my new server, with it's new
name, and all it's old history. I want the old history, so I can browse
for restores, as needed. When I actually have to DO the restores, I can do
them here on my NW server (which has a client with the old server name and
client ID), and I can do the restore across the LAN.

It's convoluted, but that will work. I think. The only thing I can think
of is to just hook up the new server as a client of the old server, and
restore all the user files that way. Save as much of the history as a CSV
file from mminfo. Shut down the old server, install NW server onto the new
server. Whenever I need a restore, I would have to look up what tape I
need in the spreadsheet I would create from the CSV file; do the recovery
here as mentioned earlier, and copy across the LAN.

(I'm actually already doing the CSV-as-spreadsheet tape listing already,
for an old NW server we used to have here. Yes, I still have to scan the
tapes I find listed in the spreadsheet, then do a restore, but I have had
that lashup work ...)

I'm open to any ideas to make this more sane. :-) Hopefully easier.
Thoughts?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM