Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.4.x in an AIX/Virtual IO Server environment

2010-05-13 16:43:06
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.4.x in an AIX/Virtual IO Server environment
From: eckertd <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 11:03:32 -0400
Greetings all.

I'm in a bit of a bind here.  We're installing a set of IBM Power7 servers and
will be using VIO Server 2.1.2 for handling Ethernet and FC functions (SAN disk
and tape).  Each chassis will have 2 VIO Server LPARs.  Each VIO Server LPAR
will have 2 dual-port 8Gbps FC cards.  1 card in each VIO Server is designated
for providing both fabric A and B access to SAN disk resources  to the virtual
client LPARs via virtual HBAs and NPIV.  Thus, each virtual client LPAR will
see 4 disk devices for each LUN, to be managed either by Hitachi HDLM or native
AIX MPIO.  No worries there, we do this already.

Our "problem" is with the tape devices.  My shared storage group is telling me
that if we set up one of the virtual client LPARs as a dedicated storage node,
it will only be able to make use of a single (in this case virtual) HBA and
tape device.  Is this true?  Can a Networker storage node truly only back up
over a single HBA?

Our production databases are projected to exceed 2TB in a few years, and 20TB
in development.  To get this backed up in a semi-resaonable amount of time, I'm
thinking we need to use more than 1 HBA.

Can anyone confirm or disprove the "single HBA theory"?