Networker

Re: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test

2010-04-21 11:55:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:53:06 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test, grahambird80 said...:

However this still leaves me with one question. What if we were give 1
tape and asked to recover data off it? This tape could be from a
previous version of networker and we have no access to the original
site.

With Backup Exec I would just catelogue the tape and then resotre from it.

Is there no simple way to do with with Networker?

That's sort of what you would do with NetWorker too -- use scanner to
clue the media database in about the tape and possibly populate the client
index for the tape, but that can't be done until you have a functioning
NetWorker environment that already has the pool and client defined.

All I want to do is get a file off the tape :-(

If you know the exact path to the file, or even the path of the directory
that would contain the file, you can do a saveset recover, or you could
potentially just use scanner with uasm to restore everything in the
saveset.  Read the documentation for scanner, uasm, and read the
administration guide for "saveset recovery" for more information.

Can the tapes used in Networker be read in other backup software i.e.
Backup Exec or NT Backup

Ostensibly, the format is well defined.  I'm not aware of any competitor
that has built in support for reading NetWorker's volume format, though.

Realistically, if you're going to be using NetWorker, even if it's
because some other office in your environment uses it, then it's in your
best interest to learn enough of the product to do what you need to do.

Tim
edu