Networker

Re: [Networker] failed to find NW 7.5.2 installation guide

2010-04-20 03:24:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] failed to find NW 7.5.2 installation guide
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:22:09 +1000
On 20/04/2010, at 17:14 , spaceball wrote:

> enchanter wrote:
>> In regard to: [Networker] failed to find NW 7.5.2 installation guide,...:
>>
>> There are three documents you probably want.
>>
>> - The 7.5.2 release notes, which includes installation information,
>> document 300-008-060
>>
>> - The "Technical Guidance for Upgrading to 7.5.x" document, which is
>> probably 300-008-997.
>>
>> - The 7.5 installation guide, document 300-008-058.
>>
>> The first two are probably more important than the third one.
>>
>> Tim
>> --
>> Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney < at >
>> ndsu.edu
>
> Thank's Tim,
>
> but those Doc's are for version 7.5. I'd like to know what to do if I have
> already 7.5.1 installed and want to upgrade server & clients towards 7.5.2.
> I did not find this description in doc 300-008-058

You won't typically find instructions for upgrading from one service pack to
another in the guides - i.e., they won't necessarily be updated unless there's
a specific cause to do so.

I.e.,

- If there's a major thing to consider, it'll be noted in the release notes
(which are updated with each service pack)
- If there's a general thing to consider (e.g., caveats for upgrading from say,
one major release to another), that'll be in the install guide
- Client upgrades rarely, if ever have caveats (last time I remember was around
4.x -> 7.x NetWare client jump)
- Otherwise, treat an upgrade between service packs no differently to an
upgrade between versions generally.

FWIW, NetWorker uses the terminology 'upgrade' to refer to jumping from one
feature set (e.g., NetWorker, Network Edition) to another feature set (say,
NetWorker, Power Edition).

An update, in NetWorker parlance, is changing the versions. So make sure when
you peruse the manuals that you search for both 'update' and 'upgrade', in case
any caveats are documented under one rather than the other terms.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise