Networker

[Networker] Oracle GSS authentication messages???

2010-04-20 11:04:38
Subject: [Networker] Oracle GSS authentication messages???
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:01:19 -0400
Hi,

We're seeing the following messages in the NetWorker log file (daemon.raw) on the backup server every time one of the save sets runs for the Oracle backups:

6631 04/20/10 09:29:16 0 primary_server nsrexecd Failed to authenticate user with GSS Legato authentication. User: oracle, Domain: (none), NetWorker Instance Name: oracle_server

These messages repeat a number of times for each save set, but the backups still run and complete OK.

We're running NMO 5.0 with NW 7.5.1 client on Oracle 10g, running on Linux RH. Primary backup server is running NW 7.5.1, Linux RH. Our backups are divided into three groups:

database_group
catalog_group
archive_redo_logs

Groups 1-2 use a modified versions of the /usr/sbin/nsrnmo script as the 'Backup command' and an RMAN script (pathname to RMAN '.rcv' script) as the single save set. The difference between our modified version and the original (vanilla version) is:

ORACLE_HOME path is defined
PATH is defined
ORACLE_SID is defined

Note: ORACLE_USER is not defined. We were unclear on what to set that to, but the file does mention: "Description: Specifies the user name of the Oracle database being backed up. It is required for OS verification during backups."

Backup group 3 is a flat file backup, and we see no such messages for that group, my guess being that that's not running as the Oracle user?

I searched the EMC news listing, and found a few non-Oracle related posts where people were receiving errors or time outs due to newer versus older authentication. We're not seeing any errors. I ran:

'nsradmin -p nsrexec'

on both the primary backup server and the Oracle client, and both show the following for NSRLA: auth methods: "0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/oldauth";

What can we do to remove these messages, and should we be concerned about them?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210