Networker

[Networker] Poor performance with disk backups after un upgrade

2009-11-19 09:31:22
Subject: [Networker] Poor performance with disk backups after un upgrade
From: psoni <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 09:28:56 -0500
We first noticed this issue the day we did our latest Networker upgrade (from
7.3.3 to 7.5.1.4).  Prior to the upgrade we didn't have this problem.

Duration for weekly backups on the file servers went from 37 hrs to ~ 58 hrs.
We were also getting NTFs files system corruption messages for the data LUNs.

After a month of troubleshooting with EMC & Microsoft, we've determined this to
be a Networker issue.  Per EMC, the newer version relies on MS VSS servcie to
backup data, which is currently not running on our servers.
EMC has also confirmed that 7.5.1.4 has an issue with poor Adv_file type
devices and told us to upgrade Networker to 7.5.1.6

Has anyone seen this issue OR upgraded to 7.5.1.6?

I disabled VSS from Networker (VSS=*off) and the disk backups are now runnign
fine without any NTFS corruption errors. However Networker is not backing up
files that are being used (open) and the backups are taking even more time to
complete.

EMC's recommendation is to enable VSS on the servers and then install the MS
patch.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

Questions :

[1] Do i also need the following hotfixes ? Currently we are running disk based
backup for our clustered file servers (3 win 2003 -64 bit) using Networker and
each server has 800 GB of SAN space allocated for user and share data.
We have configured our files servers as Networker storage nodes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951568
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167

[2] How does NW wotk with MS VSS ? I woud like to point shadow copies to a
different drive (LUN). What are the size and configuration requirements for the
shadow storage volumes in MSCS ?

Thanks in advance...