Networker

[Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes

2009-11-04 09:44:16
Subject: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:40:44 -0600
Theoretical / procedural question -

Has anyone ever had to scan in, i.e., using "scanner", MANY (i.e.,
possibly hundreds) of old expired tapes? If so, is there any way to speed
up that process?

We've used scanner more than once to read a tape or two as a mechanism to
transfer data between (backup) servers and clients, but never a large
number of tapes. It's been suggested to me by vendor support folks that
it's unwise to run more than one scanner session on the same Networker
database at the same time (could result in database corruption, according
to them). All of these theoretical tapes are from the same Networker
server / database / installation, spread over a period of time.

Or, given multiple servers I guess it might be possible to recreate one
group of clients / pools on one, another on another, etc., as long as it
was clearly known what tapes contain what clients, etc.

OR ... Is there any kind of service or vendor out there who does this?

Thanks for any advice or direction you can offer.