Networker

Re: [Networker] Random NDMP saveset failures

2009-06-30 16:29:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Random NDMP saveset failures
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:21:56 +0000
On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 12:21:06PM -0400, Joe Dalla wrote:
> sharing one VTL(HP Storage). The VTL has 16 Virtual drives (8 are shared
> between the two Filers). We are running Networker 7.4.4 on a RedHat 4.0
> Update 4(x86 32 bit)Server. This weekend I ran full backups with no
> errors. The next days backup was an incremental and I got this one error.
> All other backups were successful. Is this a memory issue with the
> Networker server or the Netapp filer? I don't have access to our storage
> servers so I can't check the netapp logs.

You'll either need them, or need to push back on the admins.  The admin
can also test dumps without Networker in the mix.

> 42617:nsrndmp_save: NDMP Service Log: DUMP:
> creating "/vol/chem_home/../snapshot_for_backup.2161" snapshot.
>
> 42617:nsrndmp_save: NDMP Service Log: DUMP: could not create "backup"
> snapshot.

These are messages from your filer passed back to Networker.  If you're
completely out of space, backup creation can fail.  There's a couple of
other reasons as well.  If space is going up and down, that will make
the failure intermittent.

It should be reproducable on the filer with 'dump 0f null /filesystem'

--
Darren