Networker

Re: [Networker] Clone from EDL to library

2009-03-25 06:41:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Clone from EDL to library
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:34:41 +0000
W. Curtis Preston wrote:

I'm honestly trying to figure out how this is better.  It's better in that
you don't need a separate storage node, but how ELSE is it better?  He's
still got to figure out how to tell NW to do all this; the queries and
commands are all the same.

And as to it being better... Here's my thought, PLEASE tell me what I don't
understand.  The VTL is still bringing the data into one I/O path and out
another.  In addition to the load this places on the CPU, you add the load
of the storage node processing.  Doesn't this add additional load to the VTL
and inevitably slow things down?

I have tried to figure this out too. I can't see a lot of difference between
1) sucking the data from the EDL to a real storage node and out to a physical tape library and
2) connecting the physical tape library to the EDL to use ESN.

Also don't forget that the Embedded S/N is only for cloning, you can't use it for backups.