Networker

[Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??

2009-03-06 20:29:29
Subject: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??
From: kit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:25:59 -0500
When a server changes name the indexes no longer belong to it.
Assuming the backup server name cant stay the same do one of the following.

1: If you can copy the mm/index directory as a set over and backup them up
immediately using savegrp -O -l full <groupname> where groupname  contains 1
instance of every client (does nto matter how the client is setup). You now
have a backup of indexes owned by the new server

2: To recover "foreign" indexes from tape when the server changes name you do
an mmrecov as you have then do a directed saveset recover for the indexes using
recover -S ssid .....
relocate as required. obviously a full backup of them is more convenint but you
can lay down all the savesets in required order.
Then run nsrck -L3 [clientname]   to rebuild the key files.

Backup them up immediately using savegrp -O -l full <groupname> where groupname
 contains 1 instance of every client (does nto matter how the client is setup).
You now have a backup of indexes owned by the new server

To recover past indexes use the saveset recovery method and and nsrck -L3. You
will probably have to apply browse/retention periods to the old indexes using
nsrmm.

Its obvoiusly easier to keep the old server name.

This method is or at least was supported by EMC in a tech bulletin as teh teh
way to have your DR licensed backup server up to date with latest media
index/client index without using tape scanning.

Regards

Kit