Networker

Re: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip"

2009-02-27 13:04:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip"
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:55:17 -0600
In regard to: RE: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip", Teresa...:

Here's the detail Tim asked for:

The main distinction between the daily, weekly and monthly backups is
how long the data needs to be retained.

Most of our clients run a full once a week and an incremental each other
day.  The incremental backups are the daily backups.  The full backups
are either weekly or monthly depending on the date.  The first week of
the month, the full backups are monthlies.  The remaining times the full
backups are weekly backups.

For example, a clientA may run full backups on Monday.  The schedules
for clientA would be:
- daily - incremental all, skip Monday
- weekly - full Mondays, skip the first Monday of the month
- monthly - full the first Monday of the month, skip each other day

The daily, weekly and monthly backups each back up to different pools.
Pool selection is based on the group.  Each group is named with a daily,
weekly or monthly extension.  Since each type of backup has a different
retention, this keeps data with the same retention scheme on the same
media.

Thanks for the detail -- I understand now why you're doing things the way
you are.

Two follow-up questions.

- do the index backups for each of the clients also get stored on the
  same volumes as the client data?

- if index data is stored on those tapes too, is it ok if the browse period
  is short (you can still quickly load the index data via nsrck -L7)?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes AND and you're willing
to do some relatively simple scripting, I believe you could get rid of
two thirds of your client definitions and groups.  If you're in the
"no scripting" crowd, I don't see any way to accomplish your scheduling
needs other than what you're already doing.

Tim
edu