Networker

Re: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip"

2009-02-26 20:04:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] backup error with schedule "skip"
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:55:46 -0500
Here's the detail Tim asked for:

The main distinction between the daily, weekly and monthly backups is
how long the data needs to be retained.

Most of our clients run a full once a week and an incremental each other
day.  The incremental backups are the daily backups.  The full backups
are either weekly or monthly depending on the date.  The first week of
the month, the full backups are monthlies.  The remaining times the full
backups are weekly backups.

For example, a clientA may run full backups on Monday.  The schedules
for clientA would be:
- daily - incremental all, skip Monday
- weekly - full Mondays, skip the first Monday of the month
- monthly - full the first Monday of the month, skip each other day

The daily, weekly and monthly backups each back up to different pools.
Pool selection is based on the group.  Each group is named with a daily,
weekly or monthly extension.  Since each type of backup has a different
retention, this keeps data with the same retention scheme on the same
media.

We've had this configuration in place for about 5 years through several
versions of NetWorker.  If there is a way to simplify things, I'd love
to hear it.  Although this has worked, it has always seemed like there
had to be an easier way.

Thanks.
Teresa