Networker

Re: [Networker] NMC

2008-09-10 17:45:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] NMC
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:36:40 +1000
Hi,

I'm having problems with GST.  We have Networker 7.3.2 on Solaris 9.

When I try to start GST, the gstd.log comes back with:-

gstd: Internal error: could not get database handle.
09/10/08 12:35:49 gstd: The most recently called subfunction returned error 2. 09/10/08 12:35:49 gstd: Internal error: could not release database handle.
09/10/08 12:35:54 gstd: library error 22 os error 0
*** gstd stopping at Wed Sep 10 12:35:55 2008

Anybody have any ideas?

I've usually found it resolved through one of the following 3 activities:

(1) Sometimes gstd gets accidentally started via sudo (e.g., it crashed once and it's getting restarted manually via sudo); it will fail in these scenarios. [Less likely to be the cause].

(2) Sometimes reinstalling NMC will resolve the above problem.

(3) Usually when (2) hasn't resolved it, I've found it to mean the gstd database is corrupt and needs either recovery if you want to keep the historical data, or recreation.

There may be other solutions, but usually PowerLink/support have pointed me at (2) and (3).

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy", due out September 26 2008:

http://www.crcpress.com/shopping_cart/products/product_detail.asp?sku=AU6396&isbn=9781420076394&parent_id=&pc=

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com