Networker

Re: [Networker] How to query for a specific file?

2008-08-25 14:55:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to query for a specific file?
From: NetWorker <networker AT cresend DOT com>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:48:37 -0500
My favorite of these is cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com)

Unix shell, Unix-style parsing of your Windows file system, everything gnu,
perl, etc, with integrated package management of the whole thing, pick and
choose exactly what you want and it all downloads and installs
automatically. Very nice and of course free.

>From the web site:

What Is Cygwin?
Cygwin is a Linux-like environment for Windows. It consists of two parts:
A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a Linux API emulation layer providing
substantial Linux API functionality.
A collection of tools which provide Linux look and feel.

The Cygwin DLL currently works with all recent, commercially released x86 32
bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, with the exception of Windows CE.

Note that the official support for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me
will be discontinued with the next major version (1.7.0) of Cygwin.

What Isn't Cygwin?
Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on Windows. You have to rebuild
your application from source if you want it to run on Windows.
Cygwin is not a way to magically make native Windows apps aware of UNIX R
functionality, like signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your apps
from source if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.