Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question

2008-07-15 06:24:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:22:38 +0100
Bruce Breidall wrote:
I was wondering what the best practice might be for storing index entries. I think the media pool store index entries dictates if indexes are saved.

NO! The store index entries setting on the pool controls whether your backups are indexed at all (on disk). If you turn this off there will be no index created for this pool. This is not the same as saving them to tape. The control for this is in your group resources.

It looks like the media DB is frozen until that job is done. If there are many groups, and many pools, doesn't this cause a lot of delay and overhead in the overall scheme of things?

It can cause save set failures. If a save set completes while the media DB is frozen, it will not be able to update the media DB so the save set will fail. The bigger your media DB, the longer it will be frozen, and the more likely you are to see failures. This is one of the reasons why many users choose to run the server backup outside the normal backup window.

Is it better to remove the store index entries on the media pool, and manually request a special savegrp -O -G (SGO) once or several times a day?

If you want indexed backups then do not touch this setting. You can choose to turn off index saves in your groups if you like. The downside is that the index is not saved to tape immediately. You could leave index saves enabled and also run a savegrp -O at some point if you wish.

If you are performing DR cloning, then the last thing you would want to do is get the SGO backup, and eject that tape, but that seems like a catch 22 if you are depending on that tape for onsite restores and browsing capability via the indexes. What are the tradeoffs here?

I don't quite follow. Your indexes are on disk, so why would you need the index tape for restores? You only need that tape if you need to restore the indexes themselves, i.e. in a DR situation.

Alternatively, if you do the SGO backup, and take a clone of that, then you are automatically not current again on the clone. Another catch 22.

Again I am not following you. You can clone the bootstrap, it's just that your previous bootstrap report will not show this new clone. You can run this report again any time with mminfo -B.

Is there a best practice with this? I don't see any problems with the way I am doing this, other than the media DB shutting down for the duration of the bootstrap save, which can't be helping other concurrent activity.