Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question

2008-07-15 09:15:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap and Index Question
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:10:44 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/15/2008 06:06:31 AM:

> Bruce Breidall wrote:
>
> > Or, maybe I should just leave things the way they are, since I am not
> > seeing any direct impact of doing about 300 bootstraps in a 24 hour
> > period, but it sure seems wrong.
>
> Ouch! 300 bootstraps a day is wrong. You should be doing 1 or maybe 2 or

> 3 a day. You WILL see failures if the end of a save set coincides with
> the media database being off-line for the bootstrap.
>
> If the NetWorker server is not in an active group, NetWorker backs up
> the bootstrap after every group as a sensible precaution. If your
> NetWorker server is not in an active group you should be asking yourself

> why not - the server needs to be backed up like any other client.

AH HA! It does that (or tries to) even if all your groups are set to "No
Index Save", right?

I'm having such difficulties with my NW server, that Tech Support
suggested (temporarily) creating a new NW server. I decided *not* to use
the "mmrecov", because I don't trust my copies at this point. Hence, I had
to create all my groups by hand .. and i haven't gotten around to making a
separet group for the NW server. I was wondering why it said it was trying
to save a bootstrap on every job, and failing to do so on my clone pool
(clone pools can't have indexes). And now I know, I think.

Thanks