Networker

[Networker] trouble with host verification - DNS

2008-07-11 16:49:12
Subject: [Networker] trouble with host verification - DNS
From: Sid Shapiro <sid_shapiro AT BIO-RAD DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:45:42 -0700
Hello,
we recently went through a little DNS re-organizational change. We get
forward resolutions through a different host than we get inverse
resolutions. Ever since this some of backs have intermittently failed.

Primary problem (repeatable) is hp-ux networker server 7.1.1 . Windows
client. both the server and the client, using DNS, can lookup each other
with both FQDN and short names as well as inverse using IP address.

And yet the client cannot find the server using winworkr (Networker User).
I keep getting daemon.log entries on the server that say "Host name
verification failed - unknown host: then the IP address. Yet I can do an
nslookup of that IP address and see a name. And it is the same name as the
client and its aliases.

Since nslookups, ping, etc all show no errors, yet Networker can't seem to
resolve the problem, I don't know what to do. Actually I do - if I put the
client in the hosts file of the server, it works. (the same names as shows
in DNS). This is not an acceptable situation. I don't want to populate a
hosts file since DNS works just fine.

Using various debug and  verbose options, I see the problem appears to be
in the auth_lgto routines.

Help?
Thanks
/ Sid /