Networker

[Networker] cloning save sets to LTO4 vs LTO2

2008-05-13 11:11:46
Subject: [Networker] cloning save sets to LTO4 vs LTO2
From: Jon Fraley <jfraley AT glenraven DOT com>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:07:11 -0400
Networker 7.3.3

We currently do D2D2T.  We have three 2TB partitions we back up to. We
then clone the Save Sets to tape in parallel from the three partitions
to three separate LTO2 drives.  We probably average around 45MB/s to
each drive.  We are planning on replacing our storage this fall and one
vendor has suggested we replace our Adic i2000 (6 LTO2 drives, nearly 4
years old, but rock solid) with a smaller library with LTO4 drives on
the thought of having more through put to the drives.

Since cloning save sets is single threaded to the drive, will I see a
significant increase in through put with LTO4 drives?  We are planning
to increase our disk backup space from 6TB to at least 25TB.

Thanks -- Jon