Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed on directive

2008-05-12 11:05:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed on directive
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 16:01:59 +0100
MIchael Leone wrote:
I have a question ... I have a number of MS SQL servers that I backup using the NW Module for SQL 5.1, nightly. I also backup the rest of the filesystem (i.e., non databases) weekly. And of course, I always get "File Open" messages when backing up the databases and lock files. I need therefore to make a directive to skip those. BUt how to make one that only skips those files if doing a filesystem backup, and to ignore the directive if I'm using the NW Module to get a hotbackup?

I remebering reading that I should always try to apply Global Directives, to avoid having a locally defined directive file on a client, that I may forget is there. So I could use some advice on how to construct and then apply the directive to skip *.MDF and *.LDF files during filesystem backup jobs. (I have separate clients and groups for backups using the NW SQL Module). So I have 2 client definitions for DEV001, for example - one with the savset of MSSQL and and with a saveset of ALL, and 2 separate groups, one with each of the client definitions.

It's simple. You make a directive to skip the database files and use it for the filesystem client, but you don't apply this directive to the client that does the database backup.