Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP questions

2008-04-29 08:22:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP questions
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:18:27 +0100
Nick,

Tape library can be any standard SCSI or FC device (supported by
Networker). Sounds like your library will be fine,

The tier level does refer to NAS device

Yes, you will need a library license for the NAS attached library.

There are alternatives to using NDMP - NAS devices generally present
shares over a network. One method of backing up could be to have the
Network server (or a storage node, or another client of suitable OS)
connect to the network share and use save -L to backup the network
shared drive. It means that all of the data goes over the network (not
as big an issue these days) but it does mean that you don't have the
issue of NDMP tapes and non-NDMP tapes.

You could, if you wanted to, use NDMP and have it backed up via a proxy
storage node to a standard tape device and avoid NDMP devices this way.

Better still, employ a second NAS at another location and snap mirror
(or whatever flavour your NAS does) the volumes... but this takes us to
a totally different area...

Regards
Bob