Networker

[Networker] NDMP questions

2008-04-29 02:48:30
Subject: [Networker] NDMP questions
From: Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:46:07 +1000
Hi all,

I've been asked to look into possibly adding a NAS to our environment and back it up using Networker. I've never used a NAS before so I have some basic questions which I'm hoping someone will be able to answer for me.

I've figured out that I'd use NDMP to back up the NAS device (at this stage I'm not sure which NAS device we'd be getting). Looking through the admin guide it looks like there are a few ways to configure this. I think we'd be looking at the local backup, where we connect a tape library directly to the NAS.

So my first question is, does the tape library have to be a special NDMP aware library, or can any SCSI library which is supported by Networker work? Specifically, we have a Quantum SuperLoader 3 with one DLT-S4 drive which we'd be looking to attach to the NAS.

My second question is to do with licensing. There are various Tier level licenses for NDMP client connections based on the number of processors. Am I correct in saying that this is the number of processors in the NAS unit itself? And, is an autochanger license required for the library which will be attached to the NAS?

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Tan