Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up a shared drive

2008-04-11 16:43:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up a shared drive
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:41:41 +0100
brotherbuford wrote:
I have tried to search for the answer but I not having any luck with my searches. I have the need to backup a shared drive.
I am running 7.2.2jumbo on a win2k server with sp4
I setup a new client defination for for a storage node with the specified save
set: \\sharename\data.  I can acces the data without the need for
username/password.

When I run the client it fails with the following error:
lgtostor3:\\sharename\data\ save: \\sharename\data: No such file or directory

You can't backup a share because a share only applies to a logged in user. It is possible to backup a UNC path but it is many years since I did this and I can't remember how.

The correct way to do this is to backup the machine that hosts the share, but I suppose there are valid reasons why that might be difficult.