Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.[3|4] savegroup hangs [was: Re: [Networker] 7.4.1 on solaris with zfs]

2007-12-19 17:18:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.[3|4] savegroup hangs [was: Re: [Networker] 7.4.1 on solaris with zfs]
From: Roberta Gold <gold11 AT LLNL DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:11:21 -0800
Can you post esg91832 to the list or give the three TCP settings and what you set it to?

The Powerlink site is totally useless for me since they made all the changes. Just hangs/timeouts anytime I click on a link that goes to solutions.emc.com or support.emc.com ...

Unfortunately, EMC is not responding to our requests for help on using their Powerlink site.

I have been experiencing frequent savegrp hangs and clone job failures
since upgrading from a stable 7.1.3 on Solaris 9 to 7.3.2 in July, 2007.
After much escalation with our support vendor and EMC, we are now at
version 7.3.3 build 510 and have patched versions of savegrp and nsrjobd
binaries installed.

Just before I installed these latest patches, I was searching on Powerlink
for other information and came across solution ID esg91832, dated 11/26/07
and titled "Process hang after upgrading to 7.3.x or higher on Solaris 9 &
10". It describes three TCP settings, two of which were larger than those
currently enabled on our server. Since I enabled the suggested settings
and patches on 12/14, we have not had any hung groups or failed clones. I
am cautiously optimistic that this will either resolve or greatly reduce
our issues. I don't know if these patches are in the recently available
7.3.4 or 7.4.1 versions.

Since we have a lot of EMC attention on our issues right now, I don't know
why they hadn't notified me of the TCP settings. I don't think making the
suggested changes could possibly hurt, though. They have told me that
other customers have similar problems, but many report different details.
I am sure using other platforms and configurations could have different
symptoms, but suggest looking at similar settings in other platforms. I
have always thought our issues were related to architectural changes EMC
made to the interprocess communications NetWorker is using post 7.1.x.

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

Roberta Gold
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
ICC/HPSD - Security Technologies Group
gold11 AT llnl DOT gov