Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.[3|4] savegroup hangs [was: Re: [Networker] 7.4.1 on solaris with zfs]

2007-12-19 16:54:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.[3|4] savegroup hangs [was: Re: [Networker] 7.4.1 on solaris with zfs]
From: Ron Benton <ron.benton AT EMERSONPROCESS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:49:40 -0500
I have been experiencing frequent savegrp hangs and clone job failures
since upgrading from a stable 7.1.3 on Solaris 9 to 7.3.2 in July, 2007.
After much escalation with our support vendor and EMC, we are now at
version 7.3.3 build 510 and have patched versions of savegrp and nsrjobd
binaries installed.

Just before I installed these latest patches, I was searching on Powerlink
for other information and came across solution ID esg91832, dated 11/26/07
and titled "Process hang after upgrading to 7.3.x or higher on Solaris 9 &
10". It describes three TCP settings, two of which were larger than those
currently enabled on our server. Since I enabled the suggested settings
and patches on 12/14, we have not had any hung groups or failed clones. I
am cautiously optimistic that this will either resolve or greatly reduce
our issues. I don't know if these patches are in the recently available
7.3.4 or 7.4.1 versions.

Since we have a lot of EMC attention on our issues right now, I don't know
why they hadn't notified me of the TCP settings. I don't think making the
suggested changes could possibly hurt, though. They have told me that
other customers have similar problems, but many report different details.
I am sure using other platforms and configurations could have different
symptoms, but suggest looking at similar settings in other platforms. I
have always thought our issues were related to architectural changes EMC
made to the interprocess communications NetWorker is using post 7.1.x.