Networker

Re: [Networker] New 7.3.3 issue: "nsrmmgd: device is not idle"

2007-08-29 03:18:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] New 7.3.3 issue: "nsrmmgd: device is not idle"
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:13:34 +0200
It seems like my initial report was somewhat misleading. The tape that it
wants to load when it fails with the reported error is, according to
networker, already loaded in device /dev/rmt/2cbn on storage node sn01.
However, there has been no activity on that drive for a while. Checking
the jukebox inventory confirms that this volume is actually loaded in the
specified drive, so its not an inventory desync problem. The drive itself
seems to be working though, as I can send mt commands to it from the
command shell on the storage node. However, when I check the device on the
storage node with fuser in order to find out what process is using the
device in question, I see that no processes are currently using the file,
which means that the nsrmmd process that should be using the device, isn't
using it. My new conclusion is that somehow the nsrmmd process bugged and
is no longer using the file, although it thinks it is, and thereby
disallows new nsrmmd processes to be spawned in order to access the drive.
At this stage I assume the best way to clear this error before it occurs
again is to kill the nsrmmd process that is misbehaving, so networker can
start a new one, that will hopefully open the device in question and
resume normal operations. It would also be good to find the problem that
caused the nsrmmd process to misbehave in this manner. Also, is it
possible to find what nsrmmd process thinks its using that device/drive,
so I can kill it? Or is there anything else I should do?

All input is welcome. :)

//Oscar