Networker

Re: [Networker] Any interest in an SMF startup for Legato Solaris 10?

2007-08-15 11:34:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Any interest in an SMF startup for Legato Solaris 10?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:30:41 -0700
> The benefits of using a native SMF facility for starting Legato
> over the old /etc/rc?.d/ scripts is that any startup errors
> are logged and if the nsrexecd daemon dies on a client, it
> will automatically attempt to restart it.  Also the old rc script
> methods are going away, so this is an attempt to future proof
> Legato until they implement the new methods themselves.

Fantastic, thank you.

While this is very good, I don't think anyone has said the rc script
methods will go away.  They're a supported interface.

If applicable, you may wish to submit your manifest to the OpenSolaris
SMF community page.
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/smf/manifests/

Although it looks like they'd prefer a link to your site rather than
host it themselves.  But I'll bet both are possible.

> Also, I want comments and improvements so we can harden this up
> a bit more.

It would be nice if servers could be given as properites.  Does yours do
that now?