Networker

[Networker] nsr-fwx configuration

2007-08-15 04:40:13
Subject: [Networker] nsr-fwx configuration
From: "Buerger, Andreas" <andreas.buerger AT WINCOR-NIXDORF DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:26:25 +0200
Hi all,

I configured a few backup clients in our DMZ firewall environement with
the FSC FWX module.
The whole thing works fine without any problems, but I got a few things,
I'd like to optimize.
As you know, to build up the tunnel through the firewall, a port has to
be opened.

In the documentation you can read that some stuff like that:
---
Network Data Security

    As mentioned already above, the tunnel established between the
FWX-server
    and FWX-proxy is not an open tunnel; it is controlled by the
NetWorker
    processes on the server. Processes will dynamically enable TCP ports
    as they bind services and disable the ports again when a service
ceases
    to exist. All connections to ports that are not explicitly enabled
    are blocked.
---

In the default configuration thats not true, if the tunnel is finally
opened through the opened port from server-to-proxy you can use
everything through that tunnel. For example, I tested some ssh sessions
and smb mounts. Perhaps you can imagine that our security guys are not
really amused with that configuration.

The only thing I found in the documentation is to configure the paket
filter not to allow ICMP traffic.

Does anyone have experiences with the nsr-fwx module?
I think there must be a way to configure the underlying paket filer of
the fwx Daemon.

We are running FSC Networker 7.2 on Linux.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas