Networker

Re: [Networker] SOPHOS and incremental Backups

2007-07-09 18:45:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] SOPHOS and incremental Backups
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 01:42:58 +0300
Surinder Dhiman wrote:
Hi,

This has been mentioned in this Newsgroup before but no exact answer given.

After a sophos run, an incremental backup give a near Full backup instead of
just a small backup.

Does anyone have an actual solution please?

I have tried  the TSAFS /skipMetaDataArchive and this has not helped.

We run NetWare 6.5 SP6 and NetWorker client 7.2 Jumbo patch 26th March 2007

Many Thanks for replies.

No solution, but we have seen this with Norton AV when a Windows client was scanning a samba share from a Linux machine. This was due to NAV changing ctime on the inode.

While bashing Linux, I recall an issue we had with a file not being backed up because the program that wrote it was (probably) doing an open with O_CREATE which caused the file's ctime to be changed, but it didn't change the mtime which was left in the past (which I consider to be a Linux kernel bug, as it should have made sure that mtime>=ctime). Let alone the infamous Linux RPC bug which caused the unofficial (Ferral) client to bombard the network if it lost its Networker server. Oh well, enough with Linux bashing.

Surinder.

-- Yaron.