Networker

Re: [Networker] ADIC Scalar 100

2007-07-09 18:49:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] ADIC Scalar 100
From: Librado Pamintuan <LPamintuan AT REGINA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 16:46:30 -0600
Hello Yaron,

Thanks for info and reply.  Based on our service/maintenance agreement with
ADIC/Quantum, I will not spend $10,000 for a brand new tape drive and have it
replaced with a factory refurbished drive after it starts to fail or have some
issues even after using it only for 3 or 5 months after purchase. ADIC/Quantum
tech. support are quick to ship replacement drives (within a day) instead of
wasting time requesting for logs and testing. We will definitely add this
refurb drive to our maintenance agreement as required by our equipment/server
policy.

Not sure about your drives will work on my Scalar 100 and since that you've
mentioned that you had some failures on this drives, I am having some second
thoughts about considering to buy them even if they will work.

regards,
Librado

Librado Pamintuan wrote:
> Good morning to all,
> My apologies to all as this is not a Networker admin related inquiry, but
> will greatly appreciate if somebody can provide me some info with regards to
> this:
>
> I planning to add another drive on my ADIC Scalar 100 tape library, the tape
> drive I am looking for is an IBM LTO-2 LVD, either brand new or refurbished
> will do. Can somebody please provide an info on where can I purchase this
> item.

   I had a Scalar 1000 with 4 IBM LTO-2 drives (LVD) and I had some
drive failures. I wouldn't even consider a refurbished drive. Anyhow, I
would try to get them under some kind of warranty. Come to think of it I
can probably sell you my four drives (although I am not sure how to
handle the shipment). I am not sure you can use them in a Scalar 100.

> thanks in advance,
>

> Librado Pamintuan
> Technical Support Analyst II
> Information Systems Div.
> Operations Group
> City of Regina
>
> Phone:          (306) 777-7573
> General Fax: (306) 777-6804
> eFax:             (306) 546-6002
> eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca
>
> DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only for the addressee
> and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
> unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or the taking of any action
> in reliance upon this information is prohibited. If you received this in
> error, please contact the sender and delete or destroy this message and any
> copies.

> this list. You can access the archives at

-- Yaron.