Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange module version

2007-05-15 14:41:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange module version
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:37:34 -0400
On May 15, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Werth, Dave wrote:

Folks,

Any comments on versions of the Exchange Module?  As explained in an
earlier message we're upgrading Exchange from 5.5 to the 2003 version.
When I went to download the installation package for the Exchange Module
I found V4.1 and V5.0.  In general I tend to avoid ".0" versions of
software but in this case I'm inclined to go with 5.0 so I wondered if
anyone has anything to say about it.

Our NetWorker server is running 7.2.1 and we're unlikely to upgrade from
that version too soon if that makes a difference.

The NetWorker server here is also 7.2.1. We run it on Solaris 9. We're using version 5.0.0.315 of the Exchange Module to back up a smallish (300 users, around 200GB worth of data) on a Windows 2003 Active/Passive cluster with two nodes. We run Exchange 2003, but we intend to upgrade to Exchange 2007 in the next few months. We are a fairly new (one year) Exchange shop and we only use it for a limited number of individuals, not including me.

Our experience with the current Exchange Module is that its fine, but we only do IS backups; we don't do brick level. On that note, I am wondering if any Exchange Module users on this list do brick level backups. I started out doing both IS and brick level for the first few months that our Exchange server was in production, but as we added users to our Exchange server, brick level backups took too long so I just do the IS backups now. Coincidentally, I just received an inquiry a few minutes ago about why I am not doing brick level backups and I am wondering if anyone out there can post their experiences with brick level Exchange server backups.

Also, Dave, I am wondering what prompted your organization's decision to go from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. I am no Exchange expert, but my understanding is that Exchange 2007 offers more features than Exchange 2003, so I am curious why since you are going to upgrade anyway, why not go with Exchange 2007, or isn't it hardened enough yet for your organization?