Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup - Log / Checklist

2007-03-25 19:52:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup - Log / Checklist
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:48:52 -0800
> >From the responses I have seen, it seems that there is really no "good"
> method in a large environment to "easily" verify that all of the backups
> that should have ran, actually ran.  It also seems that everyone fears
> the same thing I do...(a group is set to not auto start and it doesn't
> get documented or communicated that it was done, and it gets
> "forgotten")  I guess it's nice to know that others are fearful of the
> same thing.
>
> Seems as though Legato should be able to have something to check for
> that.  I know by saying that I will get a million responses as to how I
> could write a little script or command that goes out and checks for
> groups set to auto start=no...

Again, I regard this as a problem that Networker (or any other backup
program) cannot solve on its own.  It's the more general problem of
change management.

#1 How do you know that Networker is doing what it is told to do?

The traditional reports handle much of this.  (Although problems with
the scheduler in NetBackup 6.0 showed that bugs in the product can cause
this to not be enough).  At least it's easy enough to have a program
show descrepancies between the configuration and the data in the
catalog.

#2 How do you know that Networker has been told to do the right thing?

This is much harder.  Periodic reviews of the configuration help.  I've
had Networker dump it's configuration then email a "diff" against the
previous day so that any supposedly temporary changes were at least seen
by the full staff.  I think that visibility of changes is big help.  It
would be nice if the product made that easier.

In larger environments, I've scripted dumps of the configuration into
HTML pages so that different department/client owners could look at the
configuration.  I know that they're going to pay close attention to
their machines when they know about it.