Networker

[Networker] Need help with device modes and compression

2006-12-12 15:24:01
Subject: [Networker] Need help with device modes and compression
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:13:53 -0500
Hi,

I'm confused here about device modes, and we don't appear to be getting proper compression on actual backups:

Can someone tell me what dev/nst0a, nst0l and nst0m do? I've read the man page for stinit and mt, and I can't see where they define what these device modes accomplish and how the differ from, say, nst0. I'm concerned that we're not getting proper compression on our backups. We have four SDLT 600 drives (nst0-3).

These are the non-rewind devices I've been using. We're running a Quantum M1800 tape library with four SDLT 600 drives, attached via SCSI to a Linux storage node server. When I ran jbconfig, I specified /dev/nst# where # was 0-3 for each device. I'm wondering what these other modes do, and if maybe I should be using one of those instead. I'm able to backup and recover fine to these drives, but compression rates
seem low. Here are some of the volumes we've written to:

volume          (%used) written
AR0058          full        284 GB
AR0059           51%     151 GB
ARC026          95%     283 GB
FL1394            54%     163 GB
FL1396            full       300 GB
FL1397            full       291 GB
FL1398          100%      308 GB
FLN026           68%      202 GB
FLN027           65%      195 GB
INC001          full         329 GB
INC002          full         346 GB
INC003          full         292 GB
INC004          full         349 GB
INC005          100%      355 GB

I thought SDLT II tapes were 300/600. With our old ATL P1000 library that has SDLT 220 drives it was not uncommon to get 135-160+ GB on a SDLT 1 tape. That's nearly 1.5 times the 110 native capacity on average. I'm not seeing anything near 1.5 times (let alone twice) the capacity of the SDLT II tapes, however. That would be 450 GB. Granted, mileage will vary, but I would have expected to see some higher rates, especially given that we've run fulls and incrementals on all our hosts. Perhaps, I'm reaching this inference prematurely, but these volumes comprise a wide variety of data from across the network, including incrementals and fulls. I don't see any tapes that have even come close to 400 GB, never mind 5-600. I've not seen any operational problems, though. Everything seems to be running just dandy, and I've done many recovers - all OK, but these low sizes have me concerned.

I've seen write speeds anywhere from 7 MB/s to 60+ MB/s. Last night, during some fulls I had all 4 drives cranking (5 target sessions per device), and one drive was at 19 MB/s, another drive at 24 MB/s, another at 50 and the other at 60. The numbers changed around, but these speeds seem OK., I guess. We're not using software compression. We're running NetWorker 7.2.2. I selected Media type: sdlt600 when I first used
jbconfig to configure the library.

I copied the stinit.def file template from Quantum's site, and copied it to /etc/stinit.def. It has the
following entry for the SDLT600:

# QUANTUM SDLT600
manufacturer=QUANTUM model="SDLT600" {
timeout=3600 # 1 hour timeout
long-timeout=14400 # 4 hour long timeout
can-partitions=0
mode1 blocksize=0 density=0x4A compression=1 # SDLT600 density, compression on mode2 blocksize=0 density=0x4A compression=0 # SDLT600 density, compression off mode3 blocksize=0 density=0x49 compression=1 # SDLT320 density, compression on mode4 blocksize=0 density=0x48 compression=1 # SDLT220 density, compression on
}

Here's what mt -f /dev/nst0 status shows with no tape in the drive:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000):
DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

Here's what it shows with a NetWorker labeled tape in the drive:

SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x4a (no translation).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Here's what inquire shows for drive 1 (same on all the drives):

[email protected]:QUANTUM SDLT600         2929|Tape, /dev/nst0
                                          S/N: RB0502AMC05153
ATNN:QUANTUM SDLT600 RB0502AMC05153
                                          WWNN:500E09E000146337
                                          PORT:00000001

Here's what /proc/scsi/scsi shows:

Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: SDLT600          Rev: 2929
Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 04

So am I to assume that nst0, 1, 2 and 3 would use mode 1, and nst0a would used mode 2 and nst0l would use mode 3 and then nst0m would use mode 4? How do you know which mode is assigned to which device: nst0, a, l or m? Are we correct to be using nst0, 1, 2 and 3 then for hardware compression?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210