Networker

[Networker] Novell Netware issues

2006-12-12 17:08:31
Subject: [Networker] Novell Netware issues
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:03:26 -0500
Hi everyone,

We are having some strange issues with backups of Novell Netware
servers.  We are running NetWare because we use Groupwise Mail.  Most of
the time, these servers return messages that the backups did not
complete when they actually have.  Even when the backups do complete,
they are set to backup "all", but sometimes only backup some of the
volumes and not all.  This is also random to the point where a daily
backup may work and backup all volumes, but the weekly will only backup
one volume (SYS or MAIL), but not both.

We are running Netware 5.1 on most servers, but have begun a migration
to NetWare 6.5 on new servers.  NetWare 6.5 has the advantage of seeing
the savesets as a full size, where NetWare 5.1 only sees savesets as 2
gigs before it starts another save set.  The one server we have migrated
to NetWare 6.5 is consistently backing up with the "all" setting with no
errors, but does not backup Server Specific Info for some reason.

I don't see anything about this on EMC site or on searches.  Has anyone
else had to deal with NetWare issues with false messages about Networker
backups not completing and/or not getting all the volumes to backup
consistently?  We are running Networker 7.2.1.

Kevin