Networker

Re: [Networker] RSMOW errors

2006-10-23 16:36:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] RSMOW errors
From: Shyam Hegde <hegde.shyam AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 02:00:32 +0530
Hi,

I came across similar issue earlier and I had collected following from
Legato Knowledgebase at that time. Thought, it might be of some use to,
sharing the information. (my problem resolved after disabling RSM as in the
following procedure)
Thanks
Shyam

A) Disable RSM at the library level as explained in the Administrator Guide:
1. From the Computer Management console, select Storage > Removable Storage
Physical Locations.
2. Under Physical Locations, right-click on the device you want to disable
RSM, then select Properties.
3. In the General tab of the Properties box, ensure that the Enable Library
checkbox is not checked.
4. Repeat step 2 and step 3 for each autochanger and stand-alone removable
storage device connected to your system
5. If you cannot see the device in step(2) above, then go to "Device
Manager" and disable the "Medium Changers"

B) The Operating System has:
1. Windows 2000 SP4
2. Fix for KB830352 as documented by Microsoft's SB MS04-006. This patch
includes a fix for a bug on WMI.
3. Fix for KB824146 .

C) NetWorker requires the Removable Storage Manager RSM service to be
started to backup the RSM database. NetWorker version 7.1.1 and above has
the hot fix for LGTpa59785 and will start it, then stop it after it backs up
the RSM database, i.e. the RSM service will be shutdown after backing up the
RSM database only if NetWorker finds the service stopped previous to backing
up the SYSTEM DB: save set.
With NetWorker version 7.1 and below the "Removable Storage Manager service"
must be up and running.
Verified using Windows Explorer that the file system permissions at the root
of each file system allowed the user performing the backup to create, modify
and delete a file
Also might be MS Windows issue. Cleaning up the corrupt RSM database resolve
the problem. Either contact Microsoft or remove the files under the
following directory:

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\NtmsData

The files to be moved are:

NTMSDATA
NTMSDATA.BAK
NTMSIDX
NTMSREG
Leave the subdirectories and files in them. Starting RSM Server will create
fresh database.