Networker

Re: [Networker] Random errors.

2006-09-28 12:12:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Random errors.
From: Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:08:45 -0400

Let me second the notion that this might be a scsi issue.   Cabling is
possible.
Also, how many drives are on a single scsi chain?   Is this something
that just started
out of the blue after a long period of no problem?

The randomness of this always complicates diagnosis.   Examining log
file entries,
might show that it's less random than you think.

                                                       Matt Temple

Ronny Egner wrote:
> Luiz Casey schrieb:
>> We have been having several problems with 7.2. running on Solaris
>>  10. Currently we have 3 drives  in service mode. We ran an nsrjb
>>  -HHE on them to clear them out and renabled them.  It then
>> attempted to mount a new tape for labeling, an old tape for
>> appending, and a recyclable tape for re-labeling.  All three of
>> these operations resulted in I/O errors.  Much of what we saw
>> earlier. We had a hardware tech come out a couple days ago and
>> tell us it was a "leader" problem. He reset the leader on the
>> drives and told us it was caused my bad tapes. Could this be more
>> of the same "leader" problem we were having ??   We also have had
>> problems where it would finish writing the tapes and  we would
>> have to manually unmount the tape.  Also some tapes would get
>> stuck on "verifying the label" this happens on random drives and
>> random tapes. Just today a new tape got mounted for automatic
>> labeling and failed, so we reset_device and it re-ran the process
>> automatically and it worked.
>>
>> Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be great. Also let me know
>>  if you need additional information.
>
> Hi,
>
> does your message log (i.e. /nsr/logs/daemon.log,
> /var/log/messages, /var/adm/syslog, and so on) show any errors ? If
> so, please post them.
>
> I little bit information about the connectivity Server <--> Library
>  would be of great help. Anyway a lot of trouble with SCSI-attached
> libraries is caused by bad cabeling. Have you power cycled
> everything (i´ve seen many cases - especially with small libraries
> - where power cycling helped).
>
> At last i recommend updating to 7.2.2, but not to 7.3 :-)

- --
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street,  LG300/300  http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!