Networker

[Networker] Random errors.

2006-09-28 11:50:36
Subject: [Networker] Random errors.
From: Luiz Casey <luiz.casey AT AMERICAN DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:33:12 -0400
We have been having several problems with 7.2. running on Solaris 10.
Currently we have 3 drives  in service mode. We ran an nsrjb -HHE on them
to clear them out and renabled them.  It then attempted to mount a new
tape for labeling, an old tape for appending, and a recyclable tape for
re-labeling.  All three of these operations resulted in I/O errors.  Much
of what we saw earlier. We had a hardware tech come out a couple days ago
and tell us it was a "leader" problem. He reset the leader on the drives
and told us it was caused my bad tapes. Could this be more of the same
"leader" problem we were having ??   We also have had problems where it
would finish writing the tapes and  we would have to manually unmount the
tape.  Also some tapes would get stuck on "verifying the label" this
happens on random drives and random tapes. Just today a new tape got
mounted for automatic labeling and failed, so we reset_device and it
re-ran the process automatically and it worked.

Any suggestions, ideas, comments would be great. Also let me know if you
need additional information.

-Luiz

Luiz Casey
lcasey AT american DOT edu