Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Win2k backup with lots of files

2006-06-07 11:33:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Win2k backup with lots of files
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:32:43 -0500
On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 09:35:55AM -0500, Phillip_Young AT i2 DOT com wrote:
> Our environment is weird Dave.   We have a SAN (HDS TagmaStore connected to
> a Brocade 24000) but due to mgmt directive, we are continuing to back up
> these million-file clients over IP rather than through the SAN.    So that
> probably accounts for the slow performance I spoke of earlier.

Us too.  The SAN/NAS environment gives us a lot of options on what to
backup where, and the accessability of those backups are a concern.  For
that reason, and because of expensive NDMP licenses, we're doing
Networker client backups on a NAS with disks from a SAN.  We're also
doing snapshots on the NAS level (VSS and Shared Folders recoveries) and
block level snapshots on the SAN level for DR.

Dave